Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Inspiration/Breath

This is Part #2 of the Brokenness/Inspiration subject.

I wouldn't say that brokenness is an absolute prerequisite of inspiration, but I'd say that for "best results" it's best to pour into something that is OPEN and empty.

Inspiration can actually be synonymous with Inhalation.  So I'll be drawing the connection between breathing, inhaling, and inspiration wherever I can.  When you treat these words as synonyms, it makes certain ideas more three-dimensional.  God breathed life into the first human.  Adam's first action in life was to take a breath, to inhale, to be inspired -- directly inspired by God.  Being inspired by someone is as simple as breathing in whatever it is that they are exuding or exhibiting.  Inhalation is what gives you life -- literally.  So why not think of inspiration as the way our spirit inhales?  Then we might see inspiration as a requirement for the life of the soul and spirit.

How to Use the Breath to Strengthen Your Mind - Mindful



I know I'm getting into hippie/pop spirituality stuff, and to make matters worse, I've been reading a lot from music educator James Jordan.   But I think it's significant that Jordan has written an entire book on "the role of breathing in human expression."  He argues that breath is what determines what is going to follow -- whether it be speech, music, action, etc.  And it's true (as he basically goes on to say) that the honest execution of a musical idea can only be preceded by honest breath.


Sometimes we have to intentionally monitor our breathing in situations, such as when we're trying to calm down.  I just saw Gravity in theaters a couple days ago, and I was definitely breathing with Sandra Bullock for at least 45 minutes of that movie.  When we monitor and control our breathing -- being intentional about our inhalation and exhalation -- we achieve unique results, and often we'll continue to breathe calmly as a result (after we've stopped being conscious of it).
I'm exploring the idea of intentionally monitoring inspiration in my life.  I'm at a point where it's difficult find motivation to do even the simplest things.  But inspiration is what can ignite the flame for anyone.  In my life it especially applies to music.  Sometimes I need to see great art before I can pursue it.  If I can be impacted as a listener, I can be changed as a performer and "practicer."


The central idea behind all this is that inspiration doesn't easily come from within ourselves.  It's stimulated by something outside of our conscious selves.  We breathe in what is outside of us, and we are inspired by things outside of us.  As an introvert, I rely too much on myself and try to be my own driving force.  But I'm quickly seeing that that is a recipe for continuous failure.

For the Christian, the simple way to be inspired is through the "ordinary things:" prayer, the Bible, fellowship, worship, etc.  Sometimes, though, even when exposed to these things, we may accidentally keep ourselves "closed off" and not remain open enough to absorb everything and allow it to inspire/fuel the rest of our life.  Good news is that Jesus is ready at a moment's notice to fill us with inspiration when we need it, and when we turn to Him.  We are meant to live a life of accepting, receiving, opening up, remaining broken, and being vulnerable with a heart dependent on Jesus.  Only after this is done, can we give.

So anyway... as I said, I'm going to attempt to be intentional about inspiration in my life.  I need lots of healthy doses of it at the moment, so it's not going to be difficult for me to remember.  Feel free to join me in this.



Here's an interesting Copland quote.


"Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconciousness -- I wouldn't know; but I am sure that it is the antithesis of self-consciousness."
-Aaron Copland,  Music and Imagination




No comments:

Post a Comment